Origin of Horse Gram
Horse gram (Macrotyloma uniflorum) is a pulse crop widely cultivated and consumed in India since ancient times, and native to the south-east Asian subcontinent and tropical Africa. The US National Academy of Sciences has identified this legume as a potential food source for the future, thanks to its exceptional nutrition profile, drought-resistance and general hardiness.
What is Horse Gram?
Horse gram is the most protein-rich lentil found on the planet. It is very high-powered. That is why race horses are fed with this gram, which is called horse gram in the market. This important and under-utilized tropical crop is grown mostly in dry agricultural lands and keeps a rather low profile nowadays, but is ready to expand its reputation! Here’s why.
All the above details are from Isha Sadhguru Blog. Read more in their article.
Sprouting Horse Gram
Soak horse gram overnight or about 8hrs. Remove water and transfer horse gram to sprout maker or muslin cloth. Store it in warm place for about 24-36 hrs. Open and use, or store in refrigerator for future use.
This is my mother’s recipe which I love to share.It is rich in nutritions and real healthy dish.
- Horse Gram (Sprouted)
- One medium onion
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 8-10 PepperCorns
- 5 Dry Red Chillies (adjust based on your spice level)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 cup Coconut (Grated)
- Oil 2tsp
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 cups of water
- Fry onion on non-stick pan without oil, until it is soft.
- Once onions are cooled, blend them to fine paste along with poppy seeds, pepper corns, red chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind, and grated coconut. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if required.
- In an instatnt pot heat 2 tsp oil by turning it to saute mode, once oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter.
- Add horsegram sprouts and blended paste. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water. Cover instant pot and seal the vent. Pressure cook with high setting for 9 mins.
- Wait until pressure is released naturally. Open and check consistency, if you need it more thinner add little water and cook for couple mins in saute mode.
- Serve with rice, chapati or roti.